Choosing a heating system is a big decision and often requires a significant investment. It’s important that you do plenty of research into all of the available options so you can make an informed purchase.
Heat pumps are one of the most popular heating options in Auckland, but like all systems they have their advantages and disadvantages. Below we’ll explore both.
Advantages of Getting a Heat Pump
There are a number of factors behind the increasing popularity of heat pumps as a heating and cooling solution for homes and businesses, including:
- Versatility – Heat pumps can be installed in a variety of ways. They can be integrated into existing or new ducted systems or mounted on the floor, wall or ceiling.
- Cost efficiency – Heat pumps use external heat and cold to efficiently regulate temperature in a building. As a result, they are 50 per cent more cost efficient than gas heaters and use less power than other electric heating and cooling systems.
- Health benefits – Heat pumps filter your air while they operate, reducing the presence of pollen, humidity and airborne pathogens in the building. Other types of ducted heating on the other hand often spread dust and other contaminants around.
- Environmental benefits – The efficiency of heat pumps means less energy is used, which means less pollution and fewer carbon emissions.
Disadvantages of Getting a Heat Pump
There are a number of factors behind the decreasing popularity of heat pumps as a heating and cooling solution for homes and businesses, including:
- Initial cost – Compared to many heating and cooling solutions available on the market, the initial cost of the product and installation can be much higher. Heat pumps are more about long term cost-savings.
- Potentially inept in extreme cold – The reason heat pumps are so efficient is because they extract external heat to heat your property. This can be a downside in areas that are extremely cold where the heat pump might not be able to get enough heat. In this situation, an auxiliary heater or combined system may be needed to address this issue.
- Potential breakdown – Like many heating and cooling systems, heat pumps have moving parts that can malfunction after a while, causing the whole system to break down. Regular servicing can help avoid major breakdowns however.
Need Advice About Heating in Auckland?
If you’re still unsure whether heat pumps are the right solution for your property, speak to the friendly experts at Albany Heat Pumps. We’ll help you determine the best solution for your property and provide installation and maintenance services if you need. Contact us online today.